I had a good friend of mine, who recently went on a date, tell me what happened at the end of the night and it caused me to think: How often does a person end up in or arrive and never leave the “Friend-Zone”?
So what is the Friend-Zone?
If you ask your friends I am sure you will get many variations on the definition of this term. It is interesting that most of them revolve around being a male that is friend-zoned (yes, that is now a verb) by a female.
Friend-zone: This is a place, not physical but very real, where you decide that a person who is interested, or could be interested, in a relationship that has a sexual context to it is mentally put in a category of someone you would NEVER have sex (or sexual type relations) with.
I think most if not all of us have been friend-zoned at some point or have friend-zoned (past tense) someone.
Signs you are Friend-Zoned:
- You flirt with them, they do not flirt back.
- You go on a date and they attempt to high-five you in the end. (This just happened on my friend’s date). This or any non-affectionate response to the date.
- If they ALWAYS bring up how happy they are with their current other half.
- If when you discuss what you like to do for a playmate or partner and they tell you they arn’t into that.
- They tell you that you are “like” some member of their family.
- You get put in the same category of behavior as an ex they say they don’t like.
- They are more affectionate with other friends than you.
- You get told that they are “so glad you are friends”.
- You buy them the type of presents a partner would and they do not act as excited as they do when their actual partner gives them the same type of present.
- There is no issue talking to you about the details of the playmates/partners they have or desire to have.
There are many more examples of the above. One of the biggest things you have to remember is that you may hear stories of people who were friends for years and one of them was in love with the other. Then one day the other realized that person was their soulmate.
THIS IS THE EXCEPTION NOT THE RULE!
I am yelling this (in text) because if you are friend-zoned, it is 99.9999% likely you will ALWAYS be in that zone. This doesn’t mean I am saying there is a chance. There is not a chance.
The only chance you have is waste a ton of your time or energy that you could spend finding an actual playmate or partner that wants you as much as you want them. Remember, it is usually a crush. It will be hard not to have those feelings. However, spend your time finding that person who desires you back.
Whoretip: Make sure that the juice will be worth the squeeze.